Blackbird Wanted

Selling any kit? Or are you looking for some Blackbird parts or bike gear?
Then put an advert on our Shop Window,
or if you want to trade/swap any items please put them here.

Moderators: MaXX2, wobbs

Blackbird Wanted

Postby ned52 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi all,
New to the forum....having just sold my bike I am now on the hunt for a
Blackbird, age not impotent but condition is, so if anyone has or knows of
one for sale I would be grateful.
Not knowing much about the blackbird is there anything I should know or look out for when buying.
thanks for any help
Ned
ned52
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Blackbird Wanted

Postby Sircular » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:38 am

Hi Ned, Firstly, most of the forum members on here, love their B/birds, so I doubt if you`ll get one for sale on here. You could try looking on-line at the "Motor cycle news, Bikes for sale section" or "Auto Trader" (They do also sell bikes), I`ve even seen `em for sale on flea bay. Or, just Google :- Honda CBR1100 xx for sale, & take it from there. Personally, I`d buy from a dealer, coz, they`d have recently serviced it. They should also give you some warranty.(They wont want you coming back a week later with a problem !) Check previous MOT`s, an` `ave` a butchers at brake pad wear, Tyre wear, and the position of the chain tensioners, (if they`re at the end of their adjustment, your looking at a new chain.) A decent X ring will set you back about £120.00. Wouldn`t use anything else personally ( I`ve got me own chain splitter/riveter. ) which has saved me a few squid. Blackbird engines are pretty bullet - proof, even high mileage models. Just listen for a possible cam chain rattle. Don't worry to much, it only means the tensioner needs adjusting or replacing. Check the dip stick & check the colour of the oil. If it`s black,(& smells burnt) it`ll need an oil & filter change. Again, a relatively easy job for the "Home mechanic". Also most B/bird owners would`ve kept their machines in good nick. Most reputable dealers will let you "test ride", if you ask nicely. They`ll even deliver it for a fee,(depending on distance), normally about £100.00. Also, any problems with the B/bird are covered on this forum. For any spares or accessories, try "Jaws motorcycles" or "David silver spares" Between them, they`ve pretty much got everything B/bird. A lot of B/bird owners fit double bubble screens, for better weather/ wind protection, still, that`s a personal thing. But, I would recommend fitting a spacer at the top of the rear spring, ( if it`s not already got one). again, it`s covered in this forum.(easy job for the home mechanic) DONT put too big a spacer in, it makes the bike dangerous to ride !!. Because the Bird has a relatively long wheel base, the spacer, shortens the wheel base, therefore, helps the bike "turn in" better. I`ve owned both injection & carb models, & don't find a lot of difference `tween `em. (Though others on this forum would argue till "the cows come home" for their favourite). They`ll do a ton in second gear without hitting the red line (& four more gears to go) or are quite happy taking it easy. 0 to 60 in "Fook me that was quick" Hope I`ve helped you a bit, Regards, Circular :thumbsup)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Sircular wrote:Hi Ned, Firstly, most of the forum members on here, love their B/birds, so I doubt if you`ll get one for sale on here. You could try looking on-line at the "Motor cycle news, Bikes for sale section" or "Auto Trader" (They do also sell bikes), I`ve even seen `em for sale on flea bay. Or, just Google :- Honda CBR1100 xx for sale, & take it from there. Personally, I`d buy from a dealer, coz, they`d have recently serviced it. They should also give you some warranty.(They wont want you coming back a week later with a problem !) Check previous MOT`s, an` `ave` a butchers at brake pad wear, Tyre wear, and the position of the chain tensioners, (if they`re at the end of their adjustment, your looking at a new chain.) A decent X ring will set you back about £120.00. Wouldn`t use anything else personally ( I`ve got me own chain splitter/riveter. ) which has saved me a few squid. Blackbird engines are pretty bullet - proof, even high mileage models. Just listen for a possible cam chain rattle. Don't worry to much, it only means the tensioner needs adjusting or replacing. Check the dip stick & check the colour of the oil. If it`s black,(& smells burnt) it`ll need an oil & filter change. Again, a relatively easy job for the "Home mechanic". Also most B/bird owners would`ve kept their machines in good nick. Most reputable dealers will let you "test ride", if you ask nicely. They`ll even deliver it for a fee,(depending on distance), normally about £100.00. Also, any problems with the B/bird are covered on this forum. For any spares or accessories, try "Jaws motorcycles" or "David silver spares" Between them, they`ve pretty much got everything B/bird. A lot of B/bird owners fit double bubble screens, for better weather/ wind protection, still, that`s a personal thing. But, I would recommend fitting a spacer at the top of the rear spring, ( if it`s not already got one). again, it`s covered in this forum.(easy job for the home mechanic) DONT put too big a spacer in, it makes the bike dangerous to ride !!. Because the Bird has a relatively long wheel base, the spacer, shortens the wheel base, therefore, helps the bike "turn in" better. I`ve owned both injection & carb models, & don't find a lot of difference `tween `em. (Though others on this forum would argue till "the cows come home" for their favourite). They`ll do a ton in second gear without hitting the red line (& four more gears to go) or are quite happy taking it easy. 0 to 60 in "Fook me that was quick" Hope I`ve helped you a bit, Regards, Circular :thumbsup)

Hi from me too ned. Pretty much what Sircular says mostly. However, regarding buying from a dealer cos they'd have recently serviced in my opinion is worrying on several counts. First, any dealer is highly unlikely to service a Bird that its just got in p.ex before moving on. Secondly, what exactly would a dealer service on a Bird entail that would give one comfort? Oil and filter? Wow. Plugs? Why? The list goes on. Thirdly, why anyone would feel comfort in the thought that a dealer had serviced ya precious Bird in any shape or form , well thats just plain worrying. As for warranty, Id only want that on a fekkin BMW. As Les says, most Bird owners keep their Birds well looked after and maintained so service history wont be a worry. Better to buy privately IMHO. (Cyclops has got one to sell...Ill tell him to P.M. you)

:thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby ned52 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Sircular Thanks for the information and tips,
I have read a lot of adds and looked at three.
It seems a lot of the sellers seem to think there bike is worth top money even with clear damage and/or lack of maintenance, one had two owners in the add
but as the reg was showing in one of the photos I did a search on the bike before viewing it which came back with six owners + him making 7, another done all him own
maintenance but when asked if he had done the shims no answer.
I will be changing all the fluids soon after getting one so I know where I am with the servicing and take it from there.
Thanks again,
Ned
ned52
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Sircular » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:23 am

Hi again Ned, Just a bit more info` for that B/Bird you`re getting :- Coolant, I`d recommend getting Halfrauds O.A.T. premixed.(it`s recommended for aluminium motorcycle engines,& has good anti-corrosion properties). It comes in a white container, with a pink label. I`ve used it in most of the bikes I`ve had, with good results. If you should need any tyres, (for bike or car), try "Oponeo Tyres" they`re about 30 percent cheaper than the usual high street retailers. (All brands), Usually delivered within a week, by DPD parcel carriers. Also, if you need an air filter for a carb`d model, there was a seller, on flea bay, selling "new old stock" @ £12.95 each. (Bargain !) I got one for a future filter change. Good hunting, regards, Sircular. :thumbsup)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby ned52 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi all,
Just put a deposit down on a 07 CBR1100.
What I would like to know is do I need to get road tax before I ride it home and if so how armed only with the Reg number.

Thanks for your help
Ned :oops)
ned52
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Sircular » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:00 am

Hi Ned, You`ll need to get it insured first. (Most insurance companies will let you transfer the policy over from your previous bike,(if it`s still current) for a poss` adjustment on price. Or, by the sound of it, you`ll need to get a new policy). For two reasons, ;- 1) The DVLA Data base will then automatically have your insurance for the bike on record. Once insured, you should be able to download & print a copy of your insurance certificate, (should you feel the need). Also, most importantly, the police won`t stop you for no insurance. (if they do,then you`ll be able to show them a copy of your policy ! ) ;- 2) The previous owner (Dealer), can then allow you to ride it ! (Once you show them the policy.) I`m assuming it`s got a current MOT ? So, with insurance & MOT,(on the data base) you can then, go online to get it taxed. (I`m not sure if your local post office does vehicle tax anymore).(There is no longer a requirement to display a "tax disc". They aren't issued any more, coz everything`s now on that data base !) You may have to wait a short time for your insurance to get registered on the data base. They can both now be paid monthly,(Tax & Ins`) (by setting up direct debits) although they work out a little dearer, (A few pence more per month). Or pay them in full, its up to you. After doing all this, then everything will then be on the DVLA Data base, (Ins` tax & MOT) and your all legal to ride. :smile: Or, as I said before, (if it`s from a dealer) they`ll deliver it for a fee. and, that`ll give you more time to sort these things out. Alternatively, if you just want to "get it home" legally, get it on a trailer.( if one of your mates has one ? ) Or, your local bike shop might be able to help you out there, ( for a fee.) or hire a bike trailer. Or, if you, or a relative, has breakdown cover, they, (the recovery people), might get it home for you ? Hope this helps, Regards, Sircular. :thumbsup) P.s. You can`t tax a vehicle unless you`ve already got Ins` & MOT ! (&, yes, all you need is the Reg` number.)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby ned52 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:06 am

Sircular .......Thanks for that,
It turned out that I also needed a Doc ref no from the log book to be able to get road tax on line,
which I now have from the dealer.... Job done !!

Thanks' again
Ned :thumbsup)

ps What grade Oil for the xx do people use, Mineral, semi synthetic or fully synthetic ?
ned52
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Sircular » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:39 am

Hi Ned, I use fully synthetic 5w 40. Halfrauds own brand's OK. I've never had any prob's with using halfrauds. Or you could pay more for a well known brand ie, Fuchs or silkolene etc. It'll tell you in the hand book, what oil to use, if you get one with the bike. It's also covered elsewhere on this forum. Or just google Honda cbr1100 spec's, & it'll tell which oil to use. Regards, Sircular. :thumbsup)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Ned. Semi synthetic is used by the vast majority of Bird owners. There are loads of threads here and on the Dark Side as well as the American site about the problems that can happen using fully synthetic on a run in Bird (they'll all be well run in now!) I.e clutch slip. However, there are"one or two" such as Len, that obviously dont have a problem.

General consensus however is semi-synthetic. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to Shop Window & SwapShop