tyres

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

tyres

Postby dodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 pm

the new pirelli angel st sound pretty good anybody got them fitted to their blackbird? am just about ready for a set. Torn between the pirellis or bt021 or roadsmarts which suit the backbird best? . :-? :-?
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: tyres

Postby aj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:41 pm

dodger wrote:the new pirelli angel st sound pretty good anybody got them fitted to their blackbird? am just about ready for a set. Torn between the pirellis or bt021 or roadsmarts which suit the backbird best? . :-? :-?

...best i've tried...dumplop roadsmarts, mitch road pilot 2's, and avon storms... not much between them (in that order) :ride) mitches slightly harder...last longer :roll) .. depends how you ride :rolleyes:

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TRIPPO » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Dodger :-)
I had the B021,s on and didnt like them, and the squared off quicly on a bimble down the south of france.
I now have the mich road pilot 2,s on :D luv em so far, grippy both wet and dry, i just seem to feel a lot more confident on the twisties than wat i did with bridgestones :D and there wearin pretty dam good so far,
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby iainm9438 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:40 pm

metzeler roadtec Z6! :notworthy) :notworthy)

3 1/2K and just starting to loose the roundness but only very slightly and grippy as hell in all conditions :clap: :clap: :clap:
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gilly » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Mich road pilot 2's 5 1/2 thou and I reckon I have another 500-1000 left in the rear. Excellent grip in wet and dry. :clap: :ride)
Cheers
Gilly
Gilly
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Chris Gale » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:49 am

Strada s fitted about 3K ago - cant fault them 8) Would def fit them again :)
Chris Gale
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:21 pm

dodger wrote:the new pirelli angel st sound pretty good anybody got them fitted to their blackbird? am just about ready for a set. Torn between the pirellis or bt021 or roadsmarts which suit the backbird best? . :-? :-?

Sorry to say this dodger, but you've asked the wrong question. All the answers above are right and the question (unfortunately) is which type of tyre suits your riding really. Tyres in the bike world attract more comment, attention and frankly BULLSHIT, than almost any other subject. In truth, I've tried a half dozen different types and, with the odd exception, they're all bloody good nowadays. Suggestion only, but unless your tracking yer xx look for a good sports/touring tyre with good write ups on longevity. Save a good few quid.

I've rode on Conti's, Michelins (3 types), Metzelers and Pirrelli's ALL of them had more grip than my riding ability and NONE of them made me any faster or slower. All the pub bollix about 'feel from the front' and 'controlable movement from the rear' belongs on the track, which is the only place it makes any sense at all. The real differences are how easily they turn in (tyre profile) and how stable they feel in a sweeper at speed, how well they stop in the wet and how quickly they warm up. I personally don't like tyres that are too sharp to turn in. I usually ride 2-up and prefer progressive, smooth turns without me 'babe dropping to the deck as soon as I even think about a bend. Others will like it different.

Just one blokes opinion dodger, try a few types- there's plenty of write-ups on this forum alone to give you a flying start at a contender, but kick off with the reasonably priced ones, which give good miles because if you take to them straight away, you'll save a packet and be just as fast as the fella on the xx next to ya :wink) :mrgreen:

The only tyre I heard to be heavily criticised as crap, were the OEM BT57's and I can't remember anyone actually saying anything nice about them. The best comment I ever heard was " Yup they'll last for ever, which doesn't matter a toss, coz I'll be dead on the next wet roundabout" lol lol lol

Enjoy

Mick
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby dodger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:04 pm

well said Mick
in reality any tyre is probably better than most of us mere mortals will ever need its just a confidence thing.
as long as your can feel confident in the wet and dry then you ride smoother and so faster anyway.
agree with having a tyre that warms up quickly as my journey to work is pretty short anything between 5 and 12 miles depending on how much time i have on my hands. i would probably sacrifice some longevity for good grip as i dont do a high mileage on my bike.
thanks for your comments and all of the feedback from everybody else i will let you know what i fit and will pass on my feedback for the benefit of others. :clap: :clap: :clap:
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby aj » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 am

like waxxi.. I’ve tried many a brand :ride) ..
had second rear roadsmart fitted today.. :clap: ...ran it in.. in the wet (and some dry)..
and she's up to speed (and lean) and i've never ever felt as confident in a tyre as these. :notworthy)

the rear just removed had no chicken strip.. not a centimetre..( that's a first) and it had scorched edges :shock)
... they never budged even when getting me feet and pegs down :P
( not the knees.. they'r already fooooked so i tuck em in) :bigcry:

don't take my word for it.. you need to try all the leading brands to find the 1 for you...
the 1 that allows you to maximise your ability and enjoyment :ride)
...all i'm saying is... I’ve found mine 8)

aj

aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:46 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: ...exactly my "thoughts" Maxx2 although I wouldn't have been able to put any of it in writing, you articulate bastid lol Spot on. :notworthy)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby TRIPPO » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am

HAIL MAXX2 :notworthy) :notworthy) :notworthy)
Spot on maxx :clap: :clap: :clap:
You can have that many different opinions from so many different people about tyres, but which tyre is the right one to give each and every individual the confidence to ride in any type of condition, is for that individual to find it for himself through tryin each tyre for them selfs,
Like myself i had tried the B021,s and didnt really like them :( now using the RP2, s Love em :D but until i try the roadsmarts or the storms, :| for now i have found the tyre for me :D
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby deanorc51 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:30 pm

well my bird came with BT021's fitted & I've just replaced them today with the same for £195 the pair, fitted.
no chicken strips on the rear but it had squared off a fair bit, courtesy of too many 2 up miles. I've covered 3000+ miles on em & they weren't new when I bought the bike - I'm happy with them :wink)
"I told you once" (john cleese, python 'argument' sketch)
deanorc51
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby dodger » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm

since my last post in March asking for advice on what tyres to fit, much d.i.y at home and another pretty crap summer. i have finally fitted a pair of michelin road pilot 2s now nicely scrubbed in and i am well happy with the way the bike feels with them on. hoping to make the wales run on sun 13th to do my bit to reclaim the roads for us two wheelers maybe see some of you there :rockon) :rockon)
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby aj » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:06 am

dodger wrote: hoping to make the wales run on sun 13th to do my bit to reclaim the roads for us two wheelers maybe see some of you there :rockon) :rockon)

anyone else cummin :P :roll)

aj

aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Speedy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:20 am

I'm going unless the weathers diabolical. Starting from Derbyshire.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. But so was yesterday, and look how you messed that up.
Speedy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to Tyres